HOW TO SHOP VINTAGE LIKE A PRO
I snapped up this perfect vintage white dress from my local op shop at The Wayside Chapel Op Shop in North Bondi. It is a great piece for summer and so easy to wear. Here I will give you my tips on how you can shop vintage and how to filter through and find a treasure.
Vintage shopping tips:
- Never buy an item before checking every last inch for spots, holes and other signs of wear.
- Don't be attached to your size. Always consider clothes one size above or one size below your 'true' one. Given the wide variations possible in cut, the off size is liable to fit perfectly.
- Always check the quality of the item, what is the fabric? What is the trimming? Does it have nice zips, buttons, detail? Remember once you buy the item you still want it to last you another 10 years or more, If you don't think you can get more than a few wears out of the item, don't buy it.
- What is the quality of the overall item, was it constructed well? What is the workmanship like and how was it put together? You can usually tell when something is well made by how it is stitched, if the item has not pulled and there are no loose threads.
- Go for natural fabrics like silk, leather, cotton, wool and cashmere for example. Natural fabrics tend to last longer and also usually hold their value well.
- Don't get caught up just looking for designer labels, while you can find amazing designer pieces in immaculate condition you can also find treasures that may not be a well known 'brand name'. Check for quality and craftsmanship like the material used and how the item was made and or finished.