What makes the perfect cruelty-free beauty kit? With an increasing number of companies getting their products made in China, also comes the consequences of animal testing and animal cruelty. While animal testing is legal in approximately 80 percent of the world, China is the only country where it was mandatory for all cosmetics and beauty products sold within its borders. Since June this year China has loosened it's restrictions on this mandatory agreement but unfortunately the legal adjustment would apply only to domestically produced, “non-specialized” cosmetics, such as shampoo, soap, and certain skin products. This does not apply to make-up products or specialised skincare products and therefore sadly all makeup and most skincare and beauty products made in China will still sadly have to be tested on animals. The change has enabled some cosmetics companies to be more transparent but there are still so many companies who are appearing to be cruelty-free when they are in fact the opposite.
How to shop cruelty-free
Look out for where it's made, it should say 'cruelty free' or 'not tested on animals'. If you're Vegan then look for the 'Vegan' logo when buying.
After doing my research I finally found some great brands that are not only cruelty-free but are also either organic or naturally derived from plant essences. Here are my favourite eco beauty essentials to get you by, they are all cruelty free, do not test on animals and either certified organic or from naturally derived sources that should see you through day to night. (Clockwise order from top).
- Antipodes - Apostle Skin Brightening Serum. This baby is perfect under your daily moisturiser for a fresh and bright complexion.
- Natio - Mineral Blush in 'Peach Glow'. The perfect shade for Spring/Summer to give you that beachy glow.
- Hurraw - Lipbalm in 'Chai Spice'. This smeels so delicious just like spiced chai.
- Antipodes - Aura Manuka Honey Mask. This is an amazing mask that I use twice a week at night. It leaves skin feeling smooth and helps get rid of blemishes and skin imperfections.
- Antipodes - Immortal SPF +15 Face and Body moisturizer. This is a great all round day moisturiser which is light but has the minimum sun protection your skin needs.
- Inika - Certified Organic Liquid Mineral Foundation with SPF+15. This foundation is made from an antioxident and vitamin rich formulation. It simply glides onto skin, it does not clog your pores and is made from organic ingredients so even If you slept in it you would still be doing your skin favours.
- Antipodes - Antioxident Rich Gentle Toner. This rich antioxident toner spray has the power of Raspberry Seed, Artesian Water and premium botanical extracts to keep your skin at bay along with aloe vera and anti-inflamatory marshmellow which work together to soothe irritated or stressed skin.
- Aveda - Scalp Revitaliser Spray. Made from botanical ingredients and plant flower essences. This product will clean your scalp and help with any dandruff and flaky scalp concerns.
- EcoTools - Bamboo Blush Brush. This product is sustainable and does not use animal hair in their brushes. This brish is lovely and soft and perfect for blush application.
- Natio - Mineral Eyeliner in Black. Mineral formulation made without the nasty and irritating chemicals your usual brand of eyeliner will contain.
- Tahaa - Vanilla/Caramel Handmade Triple Scented Candle 65g. They are made in Australia with non-toxic wax and lead free cotton wicks and they smell devine!