DIY ECO FRIENDLY ORGANIC SOY CANDLES
You might have noticed that soy candles have been all the rage lately and here is why...
Many commercial candles sold these days have a dark history, they’re mostly made from animal byproducts (beeswax/tallow), emit toxic soot, or they increase CO2 levels in the atmosphere.
Handmade organic soy candles however will provide an all-natural, non-toxic golden glow alternative for your home. They are not just helping to set a mood, warm up a room and look pretty on a shelf but some are made from the most wonderful pure essential oils which can promote and aid relaxation whilst providing a beautiful scent for your home.
Soy candles are environmentally friendly as they don’t give off soot like paraffin candles and last longer than candles made from animal products. They make for beautiful gifts and best of all, they’re easy to make by hand, requiring basic tools and just a few ingredients. Here is my Ethical DIY Tutorial...
What you will need:
- 2 cups 100% pure organic soy wax flakes for container candles (available at your local organic and or craft supply store)
- Glass bowl
- Wooden Ladle/Spoon
- Candy thermometer
- Organic pure essential oils (lavender, vanilla, peppermint, ginger, nutmeg, etc.)
- Wick sized to fit container
- Glass/Mason jar or other container which can be reused to fit a candle
- Wick holder
- Candle putty
- Embellishments for decorations (you can add vintage fabric, gems, crystals or anything to suit the occasion or person you are giving it to or If making for yourself create to suit the theme of your home)
How To Make The Organic Soy Candles:
Melting the soy wax.
Place soy wax in a glass bowl, and place the bowl on a saucepan about a third full of water, creating a double boiler. Heat the wax, stirring occasionally, until it is soft and pourable.
(You can choose to heat the wax in the microwave, at one-minute intervals until melted.)
2. Adding the Organic essential Oils you want to use.
Let the wax cool (the temperature of the water should be about 120 degrees - use thermometer to check temperature) then add 5-10 drops (or about an ounce) of chosen organic essential oils.
Placing the wick in your jar/container.
Spoon a small amount of wax onto the center of the bottom of the container. Dangle the wick into the container until it touches the wax, making sure you have enough wick at the top to hang over the end of the container. (You can also purchase wick holders and candle putty at a craft store to secure the wick at the bottom; simply follow the directions on the packaging.) Hold the wick in place until the wax hardens; then pinch the top end of the wick with a clothespin and set the pin across the top of the container, keeping the wick centered and upright.
4. Pouring the wax.
Stir the wax so that it is smooth and then slowly pour it into the container. Leave some room at the top. Leftover wax can be reused, If you have leftovers simply let it harden and then save it in a container/jar for later use.
5. Setting the wax.
Let the wax harden overnight. The next day, trim the wick, and your soy candle is complete!
Now that your Organic soy candle is ready you can choose eco embellishments or decorations to suit.
Here are some ideas...
- You could use a piece of old vintage fabric or lace and glue around the jar/container of candle
- You could use natural twine and recycled cardboard as a swing tag and hand write a lovely quote
- You could glue old vintage stones/gems/pearls/beads to the jar/container for a lovely effect
The opportunities are endless just use your imagination and conscious thinking and you can make a uniquely beautifully decorated candle for home or as a gift. So DIY experiementing is a lovely way to get creative and make use of existing materials that would otherwise be wasted around your home and creating a new purpose for them or buy Hand Made Oganic Soy Scented Candles at EKOLUV
from our wonderful suppliers at Deckle and Hide <3